× Implementation

How can I help an 18-year old student with extremely limited movement?

More
2 years 8 months ago #3 by Super User
Super User created the topic: How can I help an 18-year old student with extremely limited movement?
I have an 18 year old student who has extremely limited movement, mainly spasms with very slight head and arm movement. She is non-verbal, has little to no vision and has a team that has all but given up on her. Every service provider on her team has moved to consult because "they've tried everything." I'm taking over this student from a previous TVI who also put her on consult. What I'm hoping, is to be able to utilize the active learning strategies with her. Here are my questions:

1. How do I go about this when no other team members are doing anything other than consulting? Shouldn't it be a team approach?

2. How much time would I, as the TVI, want to spend with her and the aid to incorporate active learning into her day? How often should the aid do these activities with her?

3. I'm pretty new to the active learning and I'm hoping to get the functional scheme assessment so I can complete that, but can I begin using some of the strategies beforehand to expose her and the team to active learning? I was thinking about making an activity vest for her to wear/use and also do some of the offering activities that are shown on your website.

I hope my questions make sense. Thanks for your input!
More
2 years 8 months ago #4 by Super User
Super User replied the topic: How can I help an 18-year old student with extremely limited movement?
Kate Hurst Replied:

"Dear Anonymous,
Ideally, everyone on a child's educational team would use an Active Learning approach when working with the student. However, sometimes for a variety of reasons, this may not be possible either because some team members do not know how to use the approach or do not feel it is beneficial. I think it is a good idea to try to educate myself so I can do a better job of persuading folks to give Active Learning a try. Hopefully the information on this website can be used to show not only the benefits, but as a way to educate others about this approach.

Still, every little bit counts.....take a look at the time you are spending with this student currently. To get new learning environments built and try out activities, you may need to see the child multiple times each week for a longer period of time. After you get things up and running, you can role-release to others and reduce your time in direct instruction with the student. The better your initial assessment of skills is, the more likely you will know where to begin with your student (think about doing the Functional Scheme assessment).

However, even before you have completed the assessment, you can gather a variety of interesting materials (see [url=http://Attractive Objects under Materials - www.activelearningspace.org/attractive-objects ) and get started using the Offering technique ( www.activelearningspace.org/five-phases-...ent/phase-1-offering ). If you have a Resonance Board, that would help as well. We collect items into a large suitcase on wheels so we can take them with us as we go from classroom to classroom. This also will help you figure out what the child finds interesting, his favorite learning pathways.

Hopefully, you will begin to see the child initiate some response and begin to move through the Dynamic Learning Circle ( www.activelearningspace.org/dynamic-learning-circle ) if you find the right objects to motivate him. Once he begins to show other team members he can learn, you will have an easier time bringing them on-board with using an Active Learning approach."
Moderators: Kate HurstCharlotte CushmanPatty Obrzut
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds