× Implementation

Tips for not offended adult Active Learning learners?

More
2 years 8 months ago #20 by Super User
Super User created the topic: Tips for not offended adult Active Learning learners?
Hi.. I teach with a number of staff who are all learning about Active Learning (as am I :) and their understanding of strategies and actually applying their knowledge of Active Learning varies greatly when they are working with the children in the classroom. I have been struggling with giving feedback to these adults and have tried modeling, group and individual professional development, readings, and also suggestions as they are with the child about them modifying their practice and the reasons why. Some of the adults are offended by my suggestions. Do you have any tips please? Some of these adults are very experienced.
More
2 years 8 months ago #21 by Super User
Super User replied the topic: Tips for not offended adult Active Learning learners?
Kate Hurst Responded:

"Our standard models for instruction don't take into consideration that these students are sensorimotor or early pre-operational level learners (even though they are chronologically older). Our typical teaching methods are for kids at higher developmental levels.

Sensorimotor learners and pre-operational learners are typically babies or toddlers. We "teach" them differently than older kids because they have not yet developed basic foundational skills and concepts. Because of their sensory impairments and additional disabilities or medical conditions our students have missed out on learning that happens for most kids as infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.

Provide opportunities for colleagues to experience activities under blindfold, share information about early development, the Dynamic Learning Circle and the Five Phases of Educational Treatment that is on the website. Hopefully we will add some "before and after" examples of students on this website soon that you could also share."
Moderators: Kate HurstCharlotte CushmanPatty Obrzut
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds